Sunday, August 09, 2015

Upcycling!

A while ago, I saw a shirt at Target that I just had to have! Sadly, it only came in those small sizes. You know those ones that claim to be XXL but in actuality, they should be considered a medium at best.


This is said shirt. I LOVED Rock's Modern Life when I was younger so you can understand why I wanted the shirt. It was the biggest they had. An XL. Now, if I were to like super tight shirts, this would be the shirt for me. Unfortunately, I am a big girl and this shirt was just too tight. So why did I even buy the shirt in the first place? Because I knew I could modify it so I could wear it comfortably. 


So here is what I did (I'm really not the best sewer so I'm not going to describe step by step how to do this). I had a set of jersey sheets and pillow cases that I just do not like sleeping on so I used the pillow case for this project. 

I cut the sides of the shirt and cut the pillow case into two small panels, uses the thicker hemmed side for the bottom.  Then, it was a matter of pinning and sewing the panels to the sides of the shirt like so:


Simple! So I tried it on to see what it was like.  It was so boxy that it looked horrible!  BUT!!!! I knew what to do.  On each side, I went in about an inch or inch and a half and sewed down at an angle, giving the shirt a better shape.  When I tried it on the second time, it was much better!  Eventually, I maybe go back and do a little bit more shaping, but for now, I'm happy with it!


Some kitty decided she loved the shirt too and claimed it as her seat for the next hour after I put it down to take a picture.  I'll try to get a better picture of it soon enough. 



No comments: